Thursday, May 27, 2021

SFL Archives 1996: George RR Martin on DOORWAYS vs SLIDERS the tv-series

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 1996 23:53:52 GMT

From: gharlane@ccshp1.ccs.csus.edu (Gharlane of Eddore)

Reply-to: sf-lovers-tv@Rutgers.Edu

Subject: "DOORWAYS," was Re: Sliders


Rtk@gnn.com (Rae-Ann) writes:

> I've seen a lot of mention of this "Doorways"; what is it?


"DOORWAYS" was a TV series that George R. R. Martin created about half a

decade back. There was a pilot film shot, and it's not bad. It's never

been aired on TV in the U.S., although it did a few movie theaters in

Europe, and has been on TV there, and is rentable on tape outside the U.S.


Here are George R. R. Martin's comments on the subject of "SLIDERS" and

"DOORWAYS."


Mr. Martin has specifically given permission for this entry to be copied on

other networks.


SFRT II RoundTable

Category 15, Topic 18

Message 244 Mon Apr 17, 1995

G.MARTIN15 [GRRM] at 22:11 EDT


I had vowed not to discuss the DOORWAYS/SLIDERS situation any further, but

a great deal of rumor and misinformation is getting passed around here, and

the more things get repeated, the more distorted they become. GEnie and the

Internet obviously function like the old game of "telephone" here, with

people paraphrasing bits of news they've heard, and the facts malforming

further with every repetition.


So... sigh... let me set some facts straight.


I have never been asked to write for SLIDERS. For obvious reasons... at

least they are obvious to _me_. My reply, if asked, would likely be

unprintable.


Tracy Torme, the writer/creator of SLIDERS, was never involved in DOORWAYS,

nor did he ask to write for the show... at least not directly. At the time

when it appeared that DOORWAYS would be on the ABC Fall 1993 schedule,

Torme's _agent_ approached me while I was visiting my own agent (we are

both represented by ICM) and said that his client had read the script,

loved the concept, and would be interesting in writing for the show if we

went to series. A mutual friend (named Harlan Ellison) has subsequently

told me that Torme says he has "never" read the DOORWAYS script and never

expressed any interest in writing for it. I have no way of knowing, one

way or the other. I have a great deal of respect for Harlan and if he says

that Torme says this, I believe that Torme says this. It was not Torme who

approached me: it was Torme's agent, speaking on behalf of Torme. I have

been in the business long enough to know that agents sometimes, well...

embroider if they smell a job.


At any rate: I was never involved in any aspect of Torme's show and he was

never involved in any aspect of mine.


DOORWAYS was pitched to the Fox network on the same day it was pitched to

ABC; at that time, the Fox execs told me they loved it, it was very

original, they'd think about it. ABC bought it before they finished

thinking. Almost two years later, when DOORWAYS was complete, we showed

the pilot to Fox after ABC chose to go with LOIS & CLARK. Fox passed at

that time. The six back-up scripts were also shown to Fox, but I have no

idea whether they read them.


DOORWAYS has been released in many foreign countries on video, but not in

the US. Nor has ABC screened it. Someone above posted that they had

scheduled it for ninety minutes but cancelled it when they realized it was

two hours long. This is _almost_ correct, except for the lengths. ABC paid

for and has the rights to telecast the ninety-minute version. They

scheduled it for a _one hour_ slot, well over a year ago, and had to pull

it. Ninety minute slots are very hard to program. A two-hour version of

DOORWAYS does exist; that is the version released in Europe, Mexico,

Australia and elsewhere on video. ABC does not have rights to that

version, as they paid only for the ninety-minute and refused to up the ante

when we ran over budget and Columbia asked them for more money.


I hope that DOORWAYS will someday be seen, but I can't say how or when.

The chances of it becoming a series are extremely remote. It pains me

vastly to say that, since I believe DOORWAYS is as good as any work I have

ever done, and had it aired, it would have bid fair to be one of the best

SF series in the history of television. The writing was damn fair too. We

had six back-up scripts ordered - a very high number, ABC was _very_

gung-ho about this show once - by some very fine writers, including Michael

Cassutt, Edward Zuckerman, and Steve deJarnett, and our lead actors were

sensational. George Newbern is a very fine and likeable young actor, as

those who have seen in FATHER OF THE BRIDE and DESIGNING WOMEN and his many

other roles can testify. And Anne LeGuernec was simply magic, a French

actress utterly unlike anyone on television. If DOORWAYS have gone, I

believe Anne would have become a major star.


SLIDERS is utterly unlike DOORWAYS in its characters, stories, tone, and

general intelligence level. SLIDERS is relentlessly dumb; DOORWAYS tried

at least to be smart. DOORWAYS had humorous moments - I believe humor is

essential in television but, we strove to be witty and quirky, and the main

thrust of the show was drama and action/adventure. SLIDERS has a lot more

humor and that humor is broader, louder, and, well, dumber. If we were

trying for a touch of Woody Allen, they are trying Benny Hill. That's a

very crude metaphor, but it gives you the idea.


They are two very different shows, but the _concept_ is pretty much

identical. Each week the lead characters travel to another alternate world.

Unfortunately, in television, concept is all. If I did a show about a pair

of FBI agents investigating paranormal activity, the characters and tone

would likely be utterly different from X-FILES, but the series would still

never get on the air, because the executives look only at the concept. In

that sense, SLIDERS has effectively killed whatever small chances I have

remaining to launch DOORWAYS... but those chances were one in a million

anyway.


I said that the concepts were "pretty much" identical. There _is_ a small

difference. In DOORWAYS, the heroes were being pursued by a bad guy from

Cat's original world. On SLIDERS, I guess they are just adventuring

around, without the pursuit element. Alas, in the judgment of people I

trust, the distinction is not sufficient to distinguish the two shows in

the minds of executives.


There is currently no lawsuit. At one point I strongly considered suing,

and a number of lawyers felt I had a good case, but I was finally put off

the thought of the time and money involved. Subsequently, I have been told

that Torme was "thinking and talking" about SLIDERS well before I did

DOORWAYS. If indeed he could produce sufficient witnesses to prove that,

he would likely win in court... and it would be wrong of me to file. If he

could not prove it, my lawyers say I would likely win. I am presently

disinclined to gamble $50,000 to $100,00 on the result.


I have met Tracy Torme only once in my life, at a panel we were both on at

the Writer's Guild. I have no idea how truthful he is. We have one mutual

friend who assures me that Torme is a "stand-up guy" who would never do

anything unethical. We have another mutual friends who thinks, well, quite

otherwise. Me, I don't know what to think.


I will go back and check and see if I've corrected all the mistatements.

If not, I'll add a few further remarks to get the facts straight. If so,

however, let this be my last word on the subject. I know that people are

curious, and I do appreciate all the support I've gotten from friends, but

I feel like a recently bereaved mother whose friends keep saying, "So,

could you tell us again how your baby died?" I will be glad to discuss

DOORWAYS, but I am sick unto death of SLIDERS. I hope it goes away soon.


GRRM


[That's the end of GRRM's comments; this is me typing again.]


I recently got to see a version of the "DOORWAYS" pilot film again.


Then I went home and dug out my tape of the pilot movie for "SLIDERS," so I

could compare them with both fresh in mind.


The difference is huge; "DOORWAYS" had a couple of very interesting,

sympathetic characters. They were well-written and well-acted. The movie

was obviously done a *MUCH* smaller budget than the "SLIDERS" pilot, but

it's something you want to see again, and you want to see more of the

characters.


Remember scripts like "MASQUES," that George R. R. Martin did for "BEAUTY

AND THE BEAST?"


Well, he'd gotten better.


Even shooting a low-budget pilot movie, under great time pressue and

stress, he'd gotten better...


"DOORWAYS" is capable of competing, on an equal footing, with material shot

on a budget vastly larger; and demonstrates what WOULD have been a

wonderful series with great imagination and potential.


Mr. Martin's comments are professional, and non-inflammatory; he does not

seek to start a flame war or a huge discussion filled with non-productive

bile and spite, because he knows that kind of negativity just doesn't get

any MORE movies and TV shows written and into production.


But having seen the two pilot movies, and looked at the dates on them; and

having seen elements of many classic SF stories, prose and script, used in

Mr. Torme's products in the past, I honestly feel that Mr. Martin has been

ill-served by his so-called "peers" and competitors. GRRM has proven, time

and time again, that he can *produce* decent material out of thin air, on a

tight budget, with original concept and treatment. The work he did with

Ron Koslow on "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST," his movie version of "NIGHTFLYERS"

(made on considerably less than the cost of most major TV shows!), the work

he did on the new "TWILIGHT ZONE..." GRRM's track record speaks for

itself.


I have respect for Tracy Torme's work, too; while invariably highly

derivative, it *is* normally competent, and I'll always be pleased at the

way he sneaked the "BlueGills" into Goddenberry's sweetness and light

universe, and steamed G.R. off so badly that we never heard of BlueGills

again... But working in the field, even working WELL in the field, doesn't

give you a license to re-write other people's work, or to market their

concepts, and from where I sit, it *appears* that's what he did...


Parallel time tracks are old-hat in SF; travel between them is a hoarily

ancient concept. But a TV series based on jumping to a new parallel world

each week, now THAT's a fairly recent schtick, and if we're to believe

Torme's agent, one that MARTIN came up with first...


------------------------------


Date: 5 Mar 1996 00:17:38 GMT

From: gharlane@ccshp1.ccs.csus.edu (Gharlane of Eddore)

Reply-to: sf-lovers-tv@Rutgers.Edu

Subject: Re: "DOORWAYS," was Re: Sliders


Just discovered I had some other G.R.R.M. comments on file, copied (with

the author's permission) over from "GENIE."


George R. R. Martin was queried on GENIE, and responded with the following,

and permission to repost it here:


SLIDERS: well, people will think what they want to think, but

let me say a few things.


A lawsuit is still an option, and will remain one for some time. I am not

proceeding right now, but I could go ahead tomorrow, or next week, or six

months from now, if I choose. I may do just that, depending on other

factors.


I am trying to purchase a large and rather expensive piece of land, as most

of you know.


You also know of the difficulties I've had there. Doing an expensive land

purchase and an expensive lawsuit simultaneously would have stretched me

pretty thin... but if the land purchase falls through, as it threatens to

do, well...


Of course, I would much prefer that SLIDERS die all by itself, and I think

the chances of that are good.


Whether or not you believe it is original, it is undeniably _awful_: badly

written, badly acted, and aimed at the lowest common denominator. Parallel

worlds for morons. If there is any vestige of taste remaining in the TV

viewing audience, SLIDERS will be gone within six episodes. It makes SPACE

RANGERS look like MASTERPIECE THEATER by comparison.


The notion of alternate worlds is indeed common in books... but _not_ in

television. Also, most alternate world stories involved a single parallel

Earth. The only previous alternate world show in TV history, the

short-lived OTHERWORLD (I _think_ that was the title) was of that nature.


DOORWAYS was designed around a format that took the characters to a

different alternate earth every week, a concept that was absolutely new for

television. I had various expert witnesses lined up to testify to that,

including network and studio executives, and even the SFRT's own Bill

Warren, with his encyclopedic knowledge of SF television and film.


SLIDERS has the same format, and its "creator" is a writer whose agent once

approached me to inquire about a staff position on DOORWAYS if it went to

series. The agent told me the writer had read my script and "loved" the

idea. Indeed he did...


So what you have is this. In the entire forty-year history of network

television, there had been exactly _one_ previous parallel world show, and

there had _never_ been a series pilot that proposed taking a set of

characters to a different alternate world every week. DOORWAYS was the

first. A year later comes a second, SLIDERS, with the same series format,

created by a writer who read the DOORWAYS script and wanted to write for

DOORWAYS. Perhaps this was purely a coincidence. I shall let the folks on

Internet make up their own minds, but I know what _I_ think.


(( OH, and for what it's worth, the Fox network was pitched DOORWAYS in the

concept stage, and were quite interested, although ABC moved faster. They

did _not_ tell me, "Oh, this is a common idea, we get variants pitched to

us every week." They _did_ say, "Wow, this is something really different

and unique, we don't have anything like this."))

------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment